Thursday, January 2, 2014

Jewel


You will understand one day, they say. You will feel it too and it will be the most wonderful thing in the whole wide world and you will know it is love.

I am sitting next to my window, my bottle of scotch lazily resting half-empty in my hand, my favorite white shirt somehow, somewhere stained and my Ferragamos lying dangerously close to the fireplace.

My eyelashes feel heavy. My breath comes out in short puffs, as if something was weighing down upon my chest. I can’t seem to concentrate on any thought for a few seconds before my mind rushes back to embrace every single memory of her. Every time I tasted her inimitable fragrance, caressed her flawless skin or heard the torrent of bliss that is her laugh.

At first I thought it was my heart I felt sinking. But a surgeon should know better. That’s not where the heart is. What I feel losing in a void ocean of bitter emotions is my very soul. Nothing physical about it, nothing natural or scientifically explained. My entire existence bows down to this powerful tyrant, this sneaky usurper who took control over me tonight and shows no intention of backing out.

I finish my scotch and look outside. The world had always looked beautiful from up here. Tonight it seems dreary, monotonous, bleak. At least I know that somewhere out there, amidst the lifeless chaos, one might find a single sparkling jewel of light. Only for one last night.

I find myself wondering whether this is some form of divine punishment, if some superior being decided for this to be my cruel penance. I never believed in God, but if he’s out there, only he can save me now.

In a fit of helplessness, I fall on my knees and pray, tear-filled and broken. I don’t ask to understand, I don’t request forgiveness. I only beg, disregarding my petty self-esteem, my pitiful pride and my disillusioned concept of reason.

I hit the lowest point of my life just as the first rays of dawn shine through the window and illuminate my surroundings. A needless dawn.

I stay on the ground for a while, not for any particular purpose other than to postpone the inevitable just a moment longer. Then I get up, take a shower and clumsily dress up.

As I walk out into the street, I hear a preacher beseeching me to save my soul. Do I still have one, I wonder? The pain is still there, so it must be still clinging on to my body.

In the surgery room, my jewel, a part of my existence, is waiting for me. She made me promise, the last time she looked into my eyes. She didn’t have to speak, even if she could. She stared into me and lightly gripped my arm, a gesture that taxed her visibly. A tear rolled down her cheek and it was all I needed to understand. It was time.

Life begins and ends in a hospital, they say. This is certainly true for me. My life is about to end by my hand, only my crushed soul remaining behind. And I know the only sentiment left in me will be my love for her.

This is not farewell, Jewel. I’ll always be with you. I love you.

-